Spicy bean burgers are a delicious alternative to more traditional burgers that use meat patties. You can experience all the flavours and textures of a bean burger with the kick of some spicy habaneros, or even Carolina reapers if you’re feeling adventurous. All while still enjoying the satisfaction of a burger. What’s not to love!
Bean burgers are one of the most popular vegetarian and vegan alternatives to traditional meat-based burgers. One of the reasons for this is because of how versatile they are. Being able to be made with different types of beans and vegetables to suit a wide range of taste buds and dietary requirements means they can be enjoyed be everyone.
Ingredients like black beans, chickpeas, lentils, onions, peppers, and mushrooms are commonly used in bean burgers, not to mention they can be seasoned however you’d like!
What Are Spicy Bean Burgers Made Off?
A bean burger typically contains cooked beans such as black beans, chickpeas, or lentils. Vegetables such as onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Grains such as quinoa, oats, or bread crumbs. Seasonings such as garlic, cumin, and chilli powder, and a binder such as egg, flaxseed, or breadcrumbs to hold everything together. The mixture is formed into patties and cooked on a grill or stovetop.
What Are The Best Beans For A Spicy Bean Burger?
The best beans for a spicy bean burger are those that have a firm texture and can hold up well when mixed with other ingredients and formed into patties. Some good options include:
- Black beans
- Kidney beans
- Pinto beans
All of these beans have a hearty texture and a mild flavour that pairs well with spicy seasonings like chili powder, cumin, and paprika. Black beans, in particular, are a popular choice for bean burgers because they are rich in protein and fibre, and they have a slightly smoky flavour that complements spicy seasonings.
The choice of beans comes down to personal preference, so feel free to experiment with different varieties until you find your favourite combination of flavour and texture.
What Is The Best Hot Sauce To Use On A Spicy Bean Burger?
The best hot sauce for a spicy bean burger depends on your personal taste preferences, as well as the level of spiciness that you want to achieve. Some popular hot sauces that work well with bean burgers include:
- Scotch bonnet sauce - a fruity and slightly sweet, citrus flavour, with a hint of smokiness. This sauce adds another dimension to a spicy bean burger.
- Chipotle sauce - a smoky sauce made from smoked jalapeno peppers that adds a rich and complex flavour to the burger.
- Habanero sauce - a sweet and spicy sauce made from habanero chili peppers, garlic, and vinegar that adds a tangy kick to the burger.
- Carolina reaper sauce - only for lovers of the hottest of the hot! Despite its extreme spiciness, its unique flavour, which can range from slightly sweet to slightly smoky pairs excellently with a spicy bean burger!
The best hot sauce for a spicy bean burger is one that complements the flavours of the burger and adds just the right amount of heat. Start with a small amount of hot sauce and taste as you go, adding more as needed to find the perfect blend of spice and flavour!
Bean Burger Ingredients
Click here to try the hot sauce that we use in this recipe! 🌶️🌶️🌶️
- 1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon of chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Burger buns and toppings of your choice (lettuce, tomato, avocado, etc.)
How To Make A Spicy Bean Burger
In a large mixing bowl, mash the black beans with a fork until they are mostly mashed but still have some texture.
Add in the cooked brown rice, red onion, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, breadcrumbs, and egg. Mix well until everything is combined.
Use your hands to form the mixture into four burger patties.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the burger patties to the skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
Serve the burgers on buns with your favourite toppings. Enjoy!